Mulled wine recipe for Winter· Blog
Jul 6th, 2011 | By Jayson Bryant | Category: Blog
It’s a favourite of mine once the temperature drops and I’m in need of a warm drink. What could be better than enjoying Mulled wine in front of an open fire?
Mulled wine is basically all about red wine and spices, but there are so many different ways to make it. People get confused about what to put in to the mix to get the best flavour. So I thought I’d make it easy for you and describe my favourite recipe. I hope you like it as much as I do.
- One bottle of red wine (suggestions: Cabernet Sauvignon, Malbec, Merlot, and Syrah/Shiraz, but not a Pinot Noir)
- One peeled and sliced orange (keep peel to add zest to taste into cooking pot)
- One peeled and sliced lemon (keep peel to add zest to taste in cooking pot)
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 5 whole cloves
- 3 cinnamon sticks
- 2 Star anise
- 1/2 cup sugar (or honey can be substituted)
- 2/3 cup brandy or cognac (can be missed if you’ve none in the house)
- 1/2 cup water